The Apostle Paul did not rely on his eloquence or wisdom to make the Gospel known to the Corinthian church. Instead, he defied human logic by preaching a crucified Christ. This week, Ptr. Jared Co likewise reminds us not to rely on human reasoning but instead to put our confidence in God’s Word and the power of the Cross.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
1 Corinthians 2:1-5
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
– Share a time you were tempted to rely on human wisdom (e.g. your own, friends/family, experts) rather than God’s Word in decision-making. What did you learn from that experience?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
– Read the passage. What did Paul not emphasize in his teaching, and what did he emphasize (vv. 1-2)? (Think: Where else had he mentioned this?)
– In what ways does the acknowledgment of the power of the Spirit challenge the common perception that personal growth can be achieved through human effort and willpower? How does this align with Paul’s teaching in 1 Corinthians 2:1-5?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
– How does the idea of boasting in the Cross resonate with your personal struggles with pride, self-importance, or the desire for recognition? Consider where in your life you might be seeking attention for yourself rather than directing it toward Christ and His Cross.
– Be honest: Have you been relying on your own wisdom and abilities to keep your spiritual life going? What encourages and hinders you from depending on God alone?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
– In what specific ways can you invite and allow the Triune God to work more powerfully in your life? How can you cultivate a deeper dependence on the Spirit’s guidance and transformation?
– Discuss the challenges of living in a world that values self-sufficiency and self-promotion. How can your Life Group/family/community actively keep one another accountable in fully trusting and glorifying the Triune God?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
– Thank the Heavenly Father for the gift of His Word, the true wellspring that never dries up. Praise Him for the guidance, wisdom, and courage that His Word provides in our lives. Thank Him for being a trustworthy and unchanging Source of Truth. Pray that you boast in His Word, acknowledging its power to transform hearts and lead people in the paths of righteousness. Pray as well to live a life that continually reflects the glory of His Word, and that your praise be a testament to His faithfulness.
– Ask for forgiveness for the times you have relied on human wisdom rather than seeking guidance from God’s Word. Confess that you have at times been swayed by the world’s perspective, seeking your own glory instead of boasting in the Cross of Christ. Ask God to create in you a repentant heart, and help you turn away from the pride that keeps you from fully surrendering to Him. Repent for the moments you have neglected the desperate need for the Holy Spirit in your life, relying on your strength instead. Further repent for the times you have sought attention for yourself rather than directing it toward Christ. Ask God to grant you the grace to consistently boast in Him, acknowledging His Word, Cross, and Spirit as our ultimate source of strength and guidance.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.