The Corinthian church was divided because they did not understand the power of the cross. This week, Rev. Jeremiah Cheung warns that division awaits us when we see life through the lens of worldly wisdom. Let us look to the cross for it is the power, wisdom, and message of God.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
林前 1 Cor 1:18-25
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
• Acknowledge the moments of doubt or struggles you’ve had in your faith journey. Did your understanding of the Cross and God evolve or deepen through those experiences? How does the message of the Cross serve as a source of comfort, reassurance, and hope during challenging times?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
• Read the passage. Why does God want to destroy the human wisdom? (v.19) Didn’t He create us with wisdom?
• Identify instances in today’s context where a similar struggle of misunderstandings and divisions occurs because of valuing human wisdom over God’s wisdom.
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
• Consider a recent decision you made and reflect on whether you sought God’s guidance or relied solely on your own understanding and capabilities. In what areas of your life do you find it challenging to rely on God’s wisdom? What do you think is preventing you from doing so (e.g. pride, fear, resentment)?
• If you’ve ever encountered ridicule or mockery for your faith, share how it made you feel. How did you navigate through it, and how did it impact your commitment to the message of the Cross?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
• Reflect on the diverse perspectives people have regarding the message of the Cross. How can you engage in conversations with others who may find the message foolish or irrelevant? What approach can you take to share the transformative power of the Cross effectively?
• Discuss with your Life Group/family/community how you can contribute to the unity of believers by emphasizing the core message of the Cross. What specific steps can you take to foster a deeper understanding of the Gospel among your fellow believers?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
• Come before the Heavenly Father with hearts full of praise and thanksgiving for the profound truth of the Cross. Take the time to celebrate the power and wisdom embedded in the message of salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ. Thank Him for the sacrificial love displayed on the Cross, bringing redemption, forgiveness, and eternal life. Pray that your gratitude overflows as you reflect on the transformative impact of the Gospel in your life and the lives of those around you.
• Acknowledge moments when you have, knowingly or unknowingly, relied on human wisdom over God’s divine guidance. Ask for forgiveness for the times you have allowed divisions or misunderstandings to hinder the unity of His Church. Confess any doubts or moments of weakness where you may have questioned the power of the Cross. Ask God to grant you the strength to stand firm in faith, to boldly proclaim the message of the Cross, and to extend compassion to those who may struggle to accept it. Pray that your life may reflect a genuine reliance on His wisdom and a commitment to living out the transformative power of the Gospel in all you do.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.