Unbelievers who are headed for destruction see the message of the cross as folly, but we who are saved know the cross represents the wisdom and power of God. This week, Rev. Genesis Tan urges us to embrace the cross as we grow together as a church.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
1 Cor 1:18-25
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
– Acknowledge the moments of doubt or struggles you’ve had in your faith journey. Did your understanding of the Cross and God evolve or deepen through those experiences? How does the message of the Cross serve as a source of comfort, reassurance, and hope during challenging times?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
– Read the passage. Why does God want to destroy the human wisdom? (v.19) Didn’t He create us with wisdom?
– Dig further into the cultural context of Corinth and how it influenced the reactions to the message of the Cross. How does understanding the cultural backdrop enhance your interpretation of Paul’s words and their relevance to contemporary culture?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
– Consider a recent decision you made and reflect on whether you sought God’s guidance or relied solely on your own understanding and capabilities. In what areas of your life do you find it challenging to rely on God’s wisdom? What do you think is preventing you from doing so (e.g. pride, fear, resentment)?
– Examine yourself: In your daily life, how do you find yourself embracing or resisting the call to follow the Crucified Christ? Which specific areas do you feel a tension between cultural expectations and the values exemplified by the Cross?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
– Reflect on the ways you share the Gospel with others. How can you ensure that the simplicity and power of the Cross remain central in your communication, without relying on persuasive techniques or external attractions?
– In what ways can you actively choose service over the pursuit of greatness, humility over the pursuit of popularity, and faithfulness over the pursuit of success? Consider specific actions or decisions you can make to embody these values in your life.
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
– Come before the Heavenly Father with hearts full of praise and thanksgiving for the profound truth of the Cross. Take the time to celebrate the power and wisdom embedded in the message of salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ. Thank Him for the sacrificial love displayed on the Cross, bringing redemption, forgiveness, and eternal life. Pray that your gratitude overflows as you reflect on the transformative impact of the Gospel in your life and the lives of those around you.
– Acknowledge moments when you have, knowingly or unknowingly, relied on human wisdom over God’s divine guidance. Ask for forgiveness for the times you have allowed divisions or misunderstandings to hinder the unity of His Church. Confess any doubts or moments of weakness where you may have questioned the power of the Cross. Ask God to grant you the strength to stand firm in faith, to boldly proclaim the message of the Cross, and to extend compassion to those who may struggle to accept it. Pray that your life may reflect a genuine reliance on His wisdom and a commitment to living out the transformative power of the Gospel in all you do.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.