Like the Corinthian church, many churches today are plagued by factions. Why do quarrels amongst believers happen so often? This week, Rev. Jeremiah Cheung examines the roots of disputes and shows us the path forward to resolve them.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
林前 1 Cor 1:10-17
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
• Share a biblical figure or Christian leader who has inspired you in your faith journey. Do you ever find yourself putting them on a pedestal?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
• Read the passage. What do you notice about Paul’s attitude as one of their leaders? What can we learn from him?
• List ways people sometimes exalt religious leaders. What are the implications of placing too much emphasis on human leaders within the church?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
• Examine yourself: What situations or qualities of a leader often sway you to elevate/follow human leaders to a position that surpasses Christ as your Lord and Savior?
• Evaluate your life priorities and practices. What factors hinder and encourage you from keeping the main thing, the main thing?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
• In what specific ways can you contribute to limiting divisions and reaching for unity within the church and your community?
• How can you ensure that your actions and priorities as part of the church body align with the foundational truths of Christianity, rather than being swayed by divisions or misplaced priorities?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
• Praise the Heavenly Father for the unchanging foundation we have in Christ. Thank Him for the reminder that leaders may come and go, but Christ remains the cornerstone of our faith. Give thanks for the profound truth of the Gospel—the birth, death, resurrection, and return of our Lord Jesus Christ. Acknowledge that amidst our differences, the Gospel remains the unifying force that transcends all.
• Humbly come before the Lord and repent for the times you have misplaced your priorities, exalting human leaders or sacraments above the central message of the Gospel. Ask for forgiveness for any divisions or misunderstandings that may have arisen in your heart and within your community as a result. Ask God to help you refocus your gaze on Christ alone.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.