The topics of Marriage, Divorce, and Remarrying have long been thorny issues from the time of the Apostle Paul until today. To address this, Paul wrote a full chapter which can be found in 1 Corinthians 7:1-40.
Rev. Cheung breaks this chapter into parts via seven questions, starting with:
Q.1: Is sex a spiritual matter?
Q.2: May someone who had once been married re-marry?
by Rev. Jeremiah Cheung
1. Within marriage, sex is a spiritual and sacred matter. But why do many people think sex is dirty and shameful? What are the reasons why this is the case?
2. V.3 “The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.” What does ‘fulfilling one’s marital duty’ mean? How are the husband and wife to do this? Please share.
3. V.5 “Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.” How do you think Satan can tempt us in this aspect?
4. Paul’s advice to those who had once been married is: freedom of choice – they may choose not to remarry or they may choose to remarry. What would be the advantage/s if a person chooses not to remarry? On the other hand, what do you think are the challenges he/she will encounter?
5. If someone chooses to remarry, what advice can you give him/her?