False teachers are savage wolves in sheep’s clothing. Their ultimate purpose is to deceive and destroy God’s flock. This week, Rev. Jeremiah Cheung shows us how we can discern whether or not a teacher or preacher is speaking the Truth.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
彼後 2 Peter 2:1-9
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
• Share a belief or idea that you once held strongly, only to realize later that it was a ‘false truth’ that led to complications in your life. How did you eventually discover the correct perspective, and how did it impact your faith/growth?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
• Read the passage. How do the false teachers disguise their message so that they are not discovered? In what ways can understanding their beliefs about the Bible, God, Christ, and salvation help in discerning whether they are false teachers?
• Reflect on the distinction between paganism and heresy. Why is it crucial for believers to recognize paganistic and heretical beliefs that may appear consistent with the Christian faith?
• What do the biblical examples mentioned teach us about God? What do we learn about His justice?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
• How intentional are you about discerning the beliefs of those who teach or influence you spiritually? How do you actively seek to understand the doctrinal positions of those you follow?
• How does your own conduct align with the moral and ethical standards set by God? In what areas might you need improvement?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
• How can you actively engage in discernment regarding the teachings you encounter? What practical steps can you take to ensure a solid foundation in biblical truth?
• Discuss with your Life Group/community specific strategies you can do to maintain a strong grip of the truth in the face of trials and deception. How can your group and the bigger church community contribute to this process?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
• Praise and thank God for giving us His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the Cross, so that by faith in Him we might be saved from the wrath of God, which is demanded for humanity’s sinfulness. Express your gratitude that salvation does not depend on what we have done, but on what Christ has done on our account.
• Take this time to appreciate God for revealing Himself to us through His precious Word. Thank Him for the truths we can learn from each passage, the warnings we can heed to protect ourselves, and the reassurances we can hold on to. Repent for the times you’ve taken Him and His Word for granted because of fear or disobedience, knowing that God remains faithful and His promises never fail amidst our lack.
• Ask God to keep you alert to any false teachings and give you discernment to identify and expose those who seek to exploit the flock of God. Fervently pray for those who may have been indoctrinated with satanic lies and that they may come to a knowledge of the truth.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.