Suffering should not surprise us because Christ himself suffered in the flesh and calls us to do the same. This week, Ptr. Nathan Tee reminds us that in suffering, we are privileged to intimately share in Christ’s obedience to the Father’s will and learn to trust Him more with what we face day to day.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
1 Peter 4:12-19
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
– Describe a time when you experienced a “blessing in disguise”. How long did it take you to realize that it was a blessing?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
– Read the passage. What is the connection between suffering and the will of God?
– What specific characteristics of God does Peter highlight so that believers will trust in Him through suffering (v.19)?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
– Be honest: Do you consider sharing in the sufferings of Christ’s life, methods, and calling a blessing? Where do you think your belief is rooted? (Note for leaders: make sure that your members share beyond the surface—if it’s fear, fear of what? Where did this fear begin? What factors contributed to having this fear?)
– Examine yourself: Have you ever been ashamed about your faith and sufferings in Christ? What kind of words do you say or actions do you do right now that might show to others that you are?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
– What is God asking you to do so that you can live obediently and better trust Christ?
– What is one area/situation where you can stand and be unashamed for Christ where previously maybe no one even knew you were a follower of Christ?
– What are some practical ways you can do starting this week so you can better minister to someone who is suffering for Christ?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
– Praise God that Christ has done it all for us. In Him, we have eternal life and security, no matter what we may suffer through in this life. Pray that those who mock and abuse you for your faith may be convicted of their sin and come to saving faith in Christ Jesus.
– Acknowledge that there may be a part of you that desires an easy, trouble-free life. Meditate on today’s passage and be reminded that this life is a training ground to draw us closer to God and be conformed to His likeness daily. Hold on to God’s grace as it is sufficient in everything you will face so that you may bring honor and glory to His Name.
– Ask God to make you bold and unashamed of your faith. Repent for the times you have failed to do so and acted un-Christlike in your decisions and lifestyle. Ask God to use you in this sin-sick world to love and comfort others with the same love and comfort that you received from Him.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.