Freedom is not a license to do whatever we want. Rather, freedom is fully realized when we choose to do what is right in the service of others. Listen to Ptr. Jared Co this week as he teaches us how to live as free servants who change the world by submitting to one another and being obedient to Jesus Christ.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
1 Peter 2:13-25
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
– Think of a servant leader you greatly admire. Share why you admire him/her and what values, attitudes, and actions he/she has that you would like to emulate.
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
– Read the passage. What does it mean to submit? What is the difference (if any) between submitting and obeying?
– What does Peter say pleases the Lord (vv.19-20)? Why do you think this pleases Him?
– What reasons does Peter give for Jesus dying on the cross (v.24)? Answer this as if you’re explaining it to a non-believer.
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
– Examine your heart. What prevents you from serving well?
– In what ways have you experienced a “master” who seems unreasonable? How do your past responses compare to how Peter calls you to live?
– What specific truths from this passage do you think would help you most when you are tempted not to submit? How does your view of God affect your submission to “masters”?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
– What values, attitudes, and actions did Jesus exhibit as our Savior and example? How will you specifically imitate Christ’s example of being a free servant this week?
– What concrete steps can you take to fight against the urge to be slavish, vengeful, and selfish?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
– Express your gratitude to Jesus Christ for not only dying on the cross and breaking the power of sin in our lives, but for also giving us the perfect example of how to live a godly life that is pleasing to God. Pray that you may live a life that is a clear testimony of His grace and love to anyone you may encounter.
– Acknowledge that there may be a part inside of you that does not want to suffer. Pray that in whatever highs or lows you may experience in life, however great or small, you surrender your life into God’s hands. Ask God to help you remember His promises and His wonderful character in His Word as you abide, submit, and endure. Thank the Lord that His grace is sufficient through whatever unjustifiable suffering and persecution you may have to face.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.