A good father corrects his children when they make bad choices or lose their way. This week, Rev. Mike Cariño reminds us that—just as our Heavenly Father disciplines us—earthly fathers should use proper discipline to express their love and provide guidance to their children.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
Hebrews 12:4-11 | Proverbs 3:11-12 | Proverbs 15:31-32
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
– Share the disciplines you practice on a regular basis (e.g. exercising, doing your devotions, eating healthy). What were the motivations behind starting these disciplines? How are you able to sustain them?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
– What did you learn about your father (or yourself) through the message?
– What did you learn about our Heavenly Father through the message?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
– For fathers: Examine your heart. Have you been disciplining your children with the motivation of spoiling, punishing, or authentically loving them?
– For all: Do you take responsibility for the consequences of your actions? What difference do you think this makes in your life and in other people’s lives?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
– For all: In which areas of your life are you struggling with succumbing to instant gratification? Identify the root causes and commit to concrete steps you can take to develop delayed gratification for necessary areas.
– For fathers: In what ways can you model persistent discipline to your family this week?
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
– Praise our Heavenly Father for being loving and just, pruning and disciplining us in the right measure.
– For fathers: Recall the times you have failed to discipline your children or dis
ciplined them with the wrong motivations. Model repentance and humility by apologizing to your family.
– Pray that fathers will value things that are truly valuable and remain self-disciplined even if no one is watching.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.