We may not be life-long Nazirites like John the Baptist, but we have much to learn from him. This week, Rev. Jeremiah Cheung explains how John’s commitment to serving God governed the way he lived. When we live as John did by placing the Lord first above all else, we too can be real-life overcomers.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
- Choose 2 LG members to share a devotion they recently had.
- Share with the group: What is one of your greatest achievements? Why do you consider it your greatest achievement?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
- Who is John the Baptist? What kind of oath did John’s parents have? What was John’s own resolution?
- As John decided to follow what God has called him to do, what challenges did John face? How did he overcome them?
- Read Luke 1:17. What does it mean to be ‘in the spirit and power of Elijah’? What does this verse tell us about the 3 things John would accomplish? What do these entail?
- Read John 3:30. “He must become greater; I must become less.” What is the background of John’s statement? What is his response to competition and comparison? Compare this with Saul’s response when David killed more than Saul. How is John’s attitude similar to Paul?
- How did John respond when Jesus became more popular than him?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
- Do you struggle with giving glory and honor to God instead of yourself?
- Reflect: Who is increasing in your life? Is it God or yourself?
- Have you experienced being jealous of another person? Please share.
- Share a time when you felt being compared to another person or felt threatened by competition. What was it like for you?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
- Personally, how can you let Christ increase in your life?
- With the reflections you have from John’s story, how can these be helpful in your faith journey?
6. Engage God in prayer (20-30 mins)
- Pray for each other’s needs and concerns. (10-15 minutes)
- Pray for our country. (10-15 minutes)
- Recovery for micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in the Philippines which were forced to temporarily close due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Sustenance and protection of health workers and their families.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.