God calls us to obey Him even when things don’t seem to make sense. In this week’s message, Ptr. Genesis Tan shows us how Peter’s obedience led to a deep and personal relationship with Jesus – one that revealed his life’s calling. Audio and video for this message are now available.
1. What is your greatest takeaway from this message?
2. Read v. 3. Describe the scenario when Simon first said yes to Jesus. What was Simon’s attitude when Jesus interrupted him. What was Simon’s experience of God’s best plan in this small yes? (There are 3). What interruptions from God have you experienced? How did you respond? Reflect: Are you too busy to let God interrupt you?
3. Read v. 4-10a. What was Jesus’ second request to Simon? What are the 2 challenges of Jesus’ request to Simon? With Simon’s knowledge, expertise, and experience, how did he respond to Jesus? What is it that Jesus is commanding you to do but you find it unreasonable and illogical? How did Simon experience God’s best by saying yes to Jesus (v. 6-7)? How did Simon respond after experiencing Jesus (compare v. 5a and 8-9)? Why is ‘Simon’ changed to ‘Peter’? Reflect: Who is Jesus in your life and who are you in Jesus?
4. Read v. 10b-11. What was Jesus’ third request to Peter? From small yes to big yes, now Jesus asked for the ultimate yes. How is catching fish similar/different to catching men (read John 10:10)? How did Peter’s priority change? How did Peter’s identity change?
5. What is God asking you to do through His word? How would you like to respond to God’s call? What is hindering you from saying yes to God?