When we follow Christ, transformation happens in every aspect of our lives – including the way we manage our wallets. In this message, Ptr. Genesis Tan shares three reasons why generosity is an important part of living an excellent Christian life. Audio and video for this message are now available.
1. Read v. 14-16. Generosity is a means for partnership in spreading the Gospel. Describe the relationship between Paul and the Philippians (Phil. 1:3-5). In what ways did the Philippians live generously? What was the impact of their generous living?
2. Read v. 17. Generosity results in profit for our spiritual account. What is your view on giving? (Is it a plus or a minus?) How is your view similar/different from Jesus’ view? (Acts 20:35). What was the mindset (2 Cor 8:4) and motive (2 Cor 8:5) of the Philippian church in living generously? What is your reason for giving?
3. Read v. 18. Generosity is a pleasing sacrifice to God. How is generosity a form of worship to the Lord? Do you worship the Lord in this area? Reflect on God’s promise in this verse (God is our Great Provider). According to v. 19, what is the guarantee for this promise? What is your understanding of God’s riches?
4. How has God shown you His generosity (Eph. 1:7-8)? The Lord is our Great God who owns everything. The Lord is our Good Provider who supplies all our needs. The Lord is our Generous Giver who gave us the Ultimate Gift of Salvation. Knowing these about our God, what is your response (Phil 4:20)?
5. In what way can you live generously? How does the Philippian church’s model of giving encourage you?
6. What is it that your heart is desiring and pursuing? Is there an idol that is preventing you from living generously? Please share.