The goal of the Christian life is Christlikeness. This requires the denial of our old selves and the welcoming of the Holy Spirit’s sanctifying work in our lives. In this message, Ptr. Genesis Tan urges us to make every effort to put off our old selves and live out our new identities in Christ. Audio and video for this message are now avaialble.
00:35 Scripture Passage: Colossians 3:5-10
02:56 Man’s Chief and Highest End
03:15 The Goal of the Christian Life
How do we become more Christ-like?
04:14 First, Remember the Gospel
18:55 Second, Focus on Christ
40:36 Third, Practice “Put Off” and “Put On”
53:16 Let’s Apply: Your Assignment
55:30 Recap of Key Points
56:19 Closing Prayer
1. What is your key takeaway from today’s message?
2. The goal of the Christian life is Christ-likeness. What are the 3 ways to become Christ-like?
3. How does your faith impact your life?
4. Do you have a good desire that has become an idol in your heart? In what way can this be put to death? (Matt 5:29-30)
5. Reflect on Romans 8:11-13. Share your thoughts.
6. What motivates you to seek the Lord?
7. What things do you need to put off? Things you need to put on? (Colossians 3:9-10)
8. How can we guard ourselves against the performance trap?
1. What is a sin that I need to confess before the Lord, pray for empowerment to forsake daily, and put off from my life?
2. Which aspect(s) of the gospel should I meditate on as I deal with this sin?
3. What idol(s) of the heart may be driving this sin?
4. What lie(s) am I believing?
5. Which biblical truth(s) can I use to counter these lies for the renewing of my mind?
6. What are the things I need to be thankful about Christ, His realities and blessings?
7. Which “garment(s) of righteousness” do I need to put on (preferably with supporting bible verses)?
8. What resolutions or roadblocks can I use against this temptation and sin to make no provision (opportunity) for my flesh?
9. What causes me to be tempted to sin in this area that I need to cut off (amputate) radically?
10. Who can support me in this struggle? How can they hold me accountable?