Seeking a life partner is a crucial matter. The longest chapter in the book of Genesis talks about how Abraham sought a wife for his son, Isaac. Through this passage, Rev. Jeremiah Cheung shares three important principles to guide us in choosing who to marry. See Part 6
In Genesis, the Bible begins with a wedding – the wedding of Adam and Eve. In Revelation, the Bible ends with another wedding – the spiritual union of Christ and His Bride, the Church. The first miracle Jesus performed was at a wedding; there, he turned water into wine. God highly values marriage, while Satan attacks marriages most intensely. When a marriage fails, the family fails; when a family fails, God’s church will also fail.
There are 50 chapters in the Book of Genesis and God used the longest chapter, Genesis 24 (with 67 verses) to record one incident – how Abraham sought a wife for his son Isaac. Through this incident, God points out several important principles for us. Through this scripture passage, we see three important boundaries necessary for selecting a life partner:
I. __________ Line – Commit the Matter of Marriage to Prayer
II. __________ Line – Marry Someone of the Same Faith
III. ___________ Line – Find a Good Partner
Life Group Discussion Questions
1. How many prayers have you offered up for your marriage or the matter of seeking a life partner? Please share your experience.
2. How many prayers have you offered with regards to the matter of your children’s marriage or selecting a life partner?
3. Personally, do you believe that faith is an important boundary in the matter of marriage? Please share your reason/s.
4. Is character a significant requirement for you in seeking a life partner? Why?
5. Which do you think is more important – character or abilities?
Sermon Notes Answers
2) The Old Servant’s