As Christians, we are not at home in this world. Instead, we are called to be pilgrims who journey daily towards our future home with God. This week, Ptr. Jared Co explains how we can be joyful as we deal with the struggles and tension of this current world, knowing we have a promised future in heaven filled with freedom and glory.
Read Today’s Scripture Passage
1 Peter 1:1-12
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Start with a prayer
2. Engage one another (15-30 mins)
• Share a recent experience wherein you felt hopeless. How did you cope?
3. Engage the mind (15-20 mins)
• Read the passage. Peter begins his epistle by reminding his readers of the greatness of salvation. How does understanding and appreciating our salvation and identity as pilgrims help us live the Christian life?
• What is our living hope (v3)? Why is it called a “living” hope?
• What are the unique characteristics mentioned about our heavenly inheritance (v4)? How does this compare with inheritances left behind by extremely wealthy people for their children?
4. Engage the heart (15-20 mins)
• Examine your heart. What prevents you from being joyful during times of trials and suffering?
• What is our rejoicing (v6) based on? Do you have joyful hope, faith, and love through all circumstances? When do you tend to rejoice more than other times?
5. Engage the hands (15-20 mins)
• Is having joyful hope, faith, and love an unrealistic expectation? In what ways can you embody and make these evident in your life?
• How does understanding our hope for the future affect your priorities in this life? What concrete steps will you take to ensure that your lifestyle, choices, and beliefs are conformed to your identity as a pilgrim on a joyful journey? (Note for leaders: make sure that your members do not just settle with surface-level behavior change)
6. Engage with God in prayer (20-30 mins)
• Worship God for His overflowing grace and abundant mercy. Thank Him for seeking us out while we were dead in our sins and that the Holy Spirit convicted us of our need for Jesus.
• Ask God to help you to live your life in a way that honors and glorifies His Holy Name.
• As you are being prepared for the coming glories of your heavenly home, request help from God that you may rejoice in our future hope despite life’s various challenges and trials. Ask that you keep a heavenly perspective as your faith is refined through the process.
Would you like to try joining a Life Group session? Fill out our Contact Form and our Life Group Officer will get in touch with you shortly.
Tithes & Offering
We praise the Lord that despite the Coronavirus pandemic, we can still worship online together. If CBCP is your home church and you are moved to give at this time, you may deposit your offerings via online fund transfer to our church bank accounts. Learn how to give.